Thursday, August 26, 2010

spooky times ahead?

* Hi to anybody that's left!

* I realized last week that I haven't done a single post about Halloween and it's almost September! Blame Canada. No Target (they'd be on the bad list anyway after donating money to a PAC that then supported an anti-gay rights politician), and I have no idea what nifty mail-order places there are up here. I have scoped out Michael's collection, and the rack and a half at Winners/Homesense, but nothing is calling me. I'm considering making my Halloween treat box bigger this year and filling it with cookies. My sis-in-law picked up some cute cookie cutters on her trip to Oregon so I could break those in.

The spirit is coming, though. Today is super windy and the scent of fall is in the air! And the wind is chilly! Real fall!

* Last Friday night we attended a very special birthday party - Lovecraft's 120th! The giant Cthulhu head with lit-up eyes was amazing! They had spoken word artists, singers, poets, a trivia contest and they showed a creeeepy short film called AM1200 (rent and watch with the lights off).
My favorite parts were:
  • The gentleman in the photo above reading Nyarlathotep (which it turns out I've been pronouncing incorrectly).
  • The singer (Jeff Andrew), self described as "hobo noir," a combo of Tom Waits and Tim Burton, and accompanied by a saw! a saw I say! and a tin whistle!
  • Missie Peters' poem about a rift brought forth through a carving
  • a bouncy little Cthulhu song sung by the host and a robed gent with a guitar
They even served birthday cake.

* That's it for today - thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Now that sounds like my type of party. Am1200 is on list...gotta get me a copy. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete