Tuesday, April 26, 2011

nom nom nom

* For those of you who haven't had enough sweets, I present:
 No clue on the date because there's no copyright or author info, only 2 photo credits. I found this tasty cookbook at video store that 1) rents DVDs; 2) has a used book rack outside; and 3) sells South African food. I love this neighborhood!

The cake at the top, with the cherry in the middle, is Alma's Quick Choco-Cake with Flaky Chocolate Icing. And the ring cake on the left is Aunt Nan's Chocolate Cake with plain white icing. I love recipes named after people, makes them seem more homey :) Although I think Aunt Nan got the short end of the frosting stick.

The book is filled with photo spreads like so:
oh my. Chocolate sundae, chocolate mousse, chocolate trifle, chocolate meringue pie ... and Queen Mary's Birthday Cake! (at the top, the stripey one that's been cut into). That was the most popular one in the book based on the stains on the recipe page. It calls for "castor sugar," which Google says is "an ultra fine sugar that is used mainly in baking cakes, souffles and mousses." Learn something new every day!

Under "Small Chocolate Cakes, Cookies and Goodies":
Chocolate truffles, chocolate eclairs, Noreen's Chocolate Fudge, and petites mousselines (those swirly round ones in the middle and bottom left). Never heard of them either, but you couldn't have a simpler recipe: 2 egg whites, 3 oz castor sugar, 2 oz ground almonds and chopped nuts for decoration. Oh, and you need Chocolate Butter Icing for the middle and the tops.

Next up, Children's Party Specials:
Which confirms my suspicion that this book is South African! The train is "Puffin' Billy," with a swiss roll boiler, a cabin of Norwegian cake, and rails and cowcatcher made from marzipan.

The cake at the top I would have called a log cabin, but it's a Native Hut. According to the description (which I just now read for the first time), "you can buy some little black dolls and construct a "native village" as a centre-piece to the table, or place a "hut" at each child's place, with a little black doll outside it holding up a card with the child's name on it." My word!

Moving along ... the book also provides some children's party games, including Do This - Do That, which sounds like Simon Says, and Spinning the Plate which involves a child holding a plate and calling another child's name while dropping the plate. The child called has to catch the plate before it hits the floor. yeah, I don't see that ending well.

And last but not least, Chocolate Drinks:
Well, those aren't all drinks, but let's not quibble about chocolate! On the bottom right, in the star shape, is a Chocolate Blancmange. As a child, I had lots of British children's books (my mom was British, and we lived in Bermuda for a few years). The children in those books were always excited about the prospect of blancmange but I never knew what one was, just that it must be good. It looks like a pudding crossed with mousse and gelatin. Still haven't had one, though ;)

Just above that, in the dotted glasses, we have Orange Cocoade. I like those chocolate oranges you can get at Christmas, but the idea of mixing chocolate syrup and orange juice doesn't sound tasty. Rounding out the drinks are Chocolate Egg-Nog (top left in the mug) and Cocoa Mallow (the beer stein with the marshmallows).

The big poofy white thing in the middle is Party Dessert. Don't even think of having it on a regular Tuesday night, it's PARTY dessert!

The last page of the book is a display of Cadbury's products:
I think they still make most of those. Don't think I've ever seen Mint Crisp, though.

Thanks for joining me in the drool-fest that is Cadbury's Chocolate Cookery!
I'm working my way through a stack of vintage cookbooks, so stay tuned for more festive foods :)

3 comments:

  1. I think it is an Australian cook book. Puffin' Billy is an Australian steam train (still running) and Cadbury is (or was) an Australian chocolate brand. Queen Mary birthday cake was my dad's favourite cake when he was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the info, Anon! I remember eating Cadbury as a kid in Bermuda, I had no idea they were so widespread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been searching for Aunt Nann cake which I think is made with Cadbury chocolate flakey bars. My husband is from South Africa and he remembers this cookbook. His mother used to have it in SA. Is there anyway you could post or send the recipe? I wish I had this cookbook! Lucky find.
    Btw- Cadbury is a huge international UK based Company ( sadly they are now owned by Kraft) their marketing and products catered to local tastes so different chocolate bars were sold in different countries. This book was clearly targeting the SA market of the 50s and 60s- hence the "native cake" theme.
    Excellent blog- thanks!

    ReplyDelete